Tuesday 23 October 2007

When I arrived at Mr. Antolini’s, Mr. Antolini and his wife have just wrapped up a dinner party in their upscale Sutton Place apartment. Glasses and dishes were everywhere, and I could tell that Mr. Antolini had been drinking. As Mrs. Antolini prepares coffee, Mr. Antolini inquires about me getting kicked out from Pencey Prep. I just told him that I disliked the rules and regulations at Pencey Prep. for a example, my debate class in which students were penalized for digressing from their subject. Digressions are more interesting. Instead of offering complete sympathy, Mr. Antolini gently challenges me, pointing out that digressions are often distracting, and that sometimes it is more interesting and appropriate to stick to the topic. I began to see the weakness of his argument and I became uncomfortable. But Mrs. Antolini cut the tension, bringing coffee for us before going to bed.

“I have a feeling that you’re riding for some kind of terrible, terrible fall, he told me that he is worried about me because I parentally primed for a major fall, a fall that will leave me frustrated and embittered against the rest of the world, particularly against the sort of boys I hated at school. I became all defensive and argued that I actually, after a while, grown to semi-like guys like Ackley and Stradlater. After an awkward silence, Mr. Antolini further explains the “fall”, saying that it is experienced by men who cannot deal with the environment around them. But he told me that if I applied myself in school,I would learn that many men and women have been similarly disturbed and troubled by the human condition, and I will also learn a great deal about my own mind. I was interested in what Mr. Antolini had to say, but I was exhausted. I could no longer keep in it, I yawned. Mr. Antolini chuckled, and we both made up the couch, and, after some small talk about girls, I went to sleep.

Suddenly, I woke up; I felt Mr. Antolini’s hand stroking my head. Mr. Antolini claimed it was nothing, but I still believe Mr. Antolini was making a homosexual advance and I hurried out of the apartment.

No comments: